Gravenhurst, otherwise known as “The Gateway to Muskoka”, is located in the south end of Ontario’s finest four-season destination—Muskoka. Situated on the edge of Lake Muskoka, the largest lake in the region, Gravenhurst offers incomparable natural landscape with all the amenities of a larger centre. Located less than two hours north of Toronto, Gravenhurst is the permanent home of approximately 13,000 residents, this population more than doubles during the summer season.
Gravenhurst’s community is vibrant in arts, culture and heritage while incorporating a modern lifestyle. Whether you want to take in a show at the historic Opera House, work from the cottage connected to high speed internet, enjoy the Bethune Memorial House, or tour our downtown with a digital flair, Gravenhurst offers something for everyone. Outstanding recreational facilities paired with our multitude of outdoor activities make Gravenhurst a great place to live and pursue your passions.
There's a sense of community. Business owners work together towards success.Andrew Irvine – Owner, North Cafe
Relocating your business to Gravenhurst can enrich your life, and save you time. A shorter commute means less stress and spending more time where you need to be, doing what you love, and getting there in less time.Jeff Loney – Manager of Economic Development
"The local businesses don't suffer from weak winter business like they used to. So many more cottages are insulated and have plumbing so they can be used year round. Downtown businesses are more adaptable and coordinated to meet the needs of off-season consumers,"Penny Varney – Director, Arts at the Albion and Small Business Owner
AMENITIES & INFRASTRUCTURE
Gravenhurst supports the historic vision of the past and continues to grow into the future. The industry and sawmills that Gravenhurst was built on may have disappeared, but the work ethic of the people has remained strong. Attracting a creative class is important to our future. We understand that much growth comes from within; retaining and expanding our current businesses is a priority. Why work from a cubicle in Toronto when you could sit by the lake and do the same thing?
• Just over 90 minutes to Toronto
• Home of the Muskoka Airport, recently renovated and expanded.
• Easy access to Highway 400 directly adjacent to Highway 11
• Widespread access to high speed internet, 100% in our urban core
• Fibre-to-the-home, Canada’s fastest internet is coming to Gravenhurst
• Veridian provides safe, easy and reliable electrical service to the Town of Gravenhurst
• Natural Gas service is provided by Union Gas, with rates adjusted four times annually
• Water and Wastewater services are administered by the District of Muskoka.
Arts and Culture
• The Gravenhurst Opera House is your one-stop shop for entertainment
• From galleries to art cooperatives, many Muskoka artists call Gravenhurst home
• Festivals and events that make Muskoka the destination of choice are held in Gravenhurst. Thousands of people come to Gravenhurst annually for these events
• Close proximity to college and university campuses located in Bracebridge, Huntsville, Orillia and Barrie. Gravenhurst is also home to the Ontario Fire College.
Come for a visit, stay for a lifetime. The Town of Gravenhurst communicates with residents every day and the consistent message is how nice it is to live, work and play in Gravenhurst. Leave the city traffic behind and move to Gravenhurst where you know your neighbours and everyone is friendly. The safety of our residents is as important to us as the safety of our own families. Raise your family here where there is never a chance for boredom.
• Year-round access to one of the most preferred vacation destinations in the world
• Several hiking trails and public parks, lifeguarded beaches and more
• Children’s programming delivered year-round
• New recreational facilities including arena, pool, gym and skate park
• Home of the Muskoka Steamships. Enjoy a cruise on the historic Segwun
• Two world-class golf courses (rated among the top 100 in Canada)
• Prime area for cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and other winter sports
• Active downtown, 365 days a year
• Site Selection Services – We are happy to provide you with assistance in choosing your new business location. Working with you from the idea stage up until the moment you are ready to choose your perfect Gravenhurst location. Contact us to let us start working for you!
• Available Lands – Gravenhurst has a diverse set of available lands. We keep our available lands database up-to-date at all times to ensure ease of use when searching for your new location.
• Business Retention and Expansion – At the Town of Gravenhurst every business is important to us. Whether you are a small retail store or an international corporation, we are happy to help you stay and grow in Gravenhurst.
• Data Services – When looking to start a new business it is important to know your market. The Town of Gravenhurst is happy to provide data to help get your business started.
• Business Marketing – We are committed to providing every business in town with a listing in our business directory. This not only provides business and online presence but also offers free advertising on the Town of Gravenhurst’s website. With 2500 searches a month, this is a valuable resource.
• Development Charges – In August, 2014, Town Council made the move to reduce non-residential development charges from $2.89 sq. ft to 0$. The District of Muskoka has also reduced their development charges by 50% to $1.53 a sq. ft.
• Community Improvement Plan – A wide variety of grants are available to property owners whose buildings are found in the Community Improvement Area (CIP). Council’s commitment to the program was demonstrated when available funds were doubled in 2014 from the previous year.
• Building Permits – Gravenhurst monitors its building permit prices regularly to ensure that you pay the least amount when constructing or renovating your building. These rates have remained consistent since 2013.
• Economic Development and Communications Services: Resources include site selection, marketing assistance, data requests, and much more.
• Muskoka Small Business Centre is your leading source for business information in Muskoka. Whether you are starting a business or just looking for support, they are here to help.
• Gravenhurst Chamber of Commerce maintains the Business Resource Centre in Gravenhurst and creates and manages networking events in the Community.
• Muskoka Futures is Muskoka’s Community Futures Development Corporation. Supporting community economic development across the region is their mission. Muskoka Futures helps business get started and grow through financial programs.
• In the centre of Downtown Gravenhurst, the Gravenhurst Business Improvement Area mandate is to bring people to their area of Gravenhurst. They support businesses within their area as well as organizing some of Gravenhurst’s most well known events.